Saturday, August 20, 2011

1960s Addams Family TV Show Theme Song Lyrics (I sang them wrong!)

Image Credit: Hulu.com

The Addams Family was one of my favorite TV shows when I was a child, and the theme song was one of the best. Catchy and easy to sing along with, I have remembered it for decades. Or have I...

I was humming the tune in my head today while thinking about my halloween cotton baby costumes*, which are also creepy, kooky, mysterious and ooky (not to mention adorably cute!) I thought I would write the lyrics here, from memory, because of course I sang them hundreds of times in my childhood.

But just in case my memory was a little off, I researched the lyrics online first, and was shocked (shocked, I tell you!) to discover I had been singing them wrong all these years!

THE REAL ADDAMS FAMILY LYRICS (by Vic Mizzy)

They're creepy and they're kooky,
Mysterious and spooky,
They're altogether ooky,
The Addams Family.
Their house is a museum.
When people come to see 'em
They really are a screa-um.
The Addams Family.
(Neat)
(Sweet)
(Petite)
So get a witch's shawl on.
A broomstick you can crawl on.
We're gonna pay a call on
The Addams Family.


It's the last grouping/stanza that I had been singing incorrectly since the 1960's. My version of those lines:
So gather with your shawl on,
A roof that you can crawl on,
We're gonna take a call on,
The Addams Family.

I had pictured them up on their haunted mansion roof with their shawls on, looking at the moon and enjoying the night air....

Now I have to re-learn one of my favorite childhood memories (if I want to do it right).

Theme Song from the opening credits of the TV Show (on YouTube)

Side Note and Pet peeve: TV shows used to have theme songs with lyrics, created just for the show! Can't think of many that do so anymore.